Putting things into perspective

Slow and Steady wins the race

Friday, September 18, 2009

Good Intentions......

Sooo.... I have trying to be a good soldier by walking in the evenings to get my exercise in.  I love to walk, especially in the Fall weather we are having in PA right now.  My DD Emily (9) and my Chorkie - Riley like to come along and this is how it usually goes :


I put on my  Bangelz wrist weights and my new pedometer and off we go......  I intended to burn alot of calories and walk at least 2 miles......Well, we just get started and  Emily asked  to stop at the playground behind our house and swing for a while (Emily has ADHD and she has been really hyper since school started....swinging helps her to calm down some) ....ok no problem, she swings for about 5 minutes.  So... off we go again.... we get about a block further and Riley stops to poop.... ok, clean that up and off we go.... Ooohhh, Emily sees a pretty rock on the ground and just has to stop and pick that up.  Ok, rock in hand, onward..... we are movin' now.....Until, Emily insists on holding Riley's leash.   Alright,  so with Emily at the reins Riley decides to stop and sniff every other mailbox and fireplug we pass...of course I am behind them and have to stop or else I will trip and land on my @$$.....  So, I take leash in in an attempt to increase my pace, and on we go.....Emily suggests "Let's go up the BIG hill past  Allison's house"  ......Great .....sounds like a plan...... Halfway up:  Emily's legs are tired - "we need to stop for a minute Mommy" ..... Ok - I was finally starting to break a sweat and feel it in my legs, but we'll rest a minute....  Finally - we're ready to go again.... Riley's slowing down..his little legs are getting tired too.... So once again I slow my pace for him......

We finally make it home, I am MENTALLY exhausted from trying not to trip over Emily or the dog, making sure they do not walk into traffic, etc .....my trusty pedometer tells me I walked 1.5 miles and burned 185 calories.....So much for good intentions .....I think I need to take my walks alone....maybe I should go out twice, once with the entourage and once alone.

1 comment:

  1. LOL this sounds familiar. YES you need to go out alone, at least once in a while. You deserve to focus on you and have a peaceful walk. (I'm talking to myself right now, I have 4 kids, including 1 DS with ADHD, and a very stop and go dog!)

    Tell the fam. that you need to do this, seriously, get that block of time just for you and enjoy the beautiful fall weather! I remember the PA falls....

    ReplyDelete