As you know I am in the beginning stages of this journey. I have been researching like crazy. I love all your blogs and reading about your successes and how you've overcome your challenges. I read threads on LBT and see all the wonderful losses many Bandsters have had. I know this can be done, I know it is a great tool to help with weight loss and yet....My head keeps doubting that I will lose weight or that I will be successful with this. I keep hearing that this too will be another failed attempt for me. I am having so many mixed emotions right now. I even went so far as to reconsider RNY because I know I will lose the weight quickly - I put up a thread about this on LBT and after reading the responses, basically decided RNY is not for me. One thing I have going for me is that DH is also getting banded. On the downside, he ALWAYS loses weight faster than me and I have no doubt he will reach his goal quickly. I am not sure how I will handle this either - I know in the past it pissed me off and I usually threw in the towel or became a miserable b*tch.
I just don't know how to get rid of the negative self talk. I am not a very confident person. I wish I could be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Ah Dawn, I am sorry! I briefly thought about getting bypass as well...but only briefly. The weight loss would be quicker with gastric bypass for sure! But it is a whole other ballgame as well. Talk it over with your doc if you are not sure.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, you husband will lose faster and get to his goal before you. Welcome to the world of unfair man loss ya know? But if you know that going into it, then won't that help?
What if when you start the negative self talk you make a conscience effort to actually stop right there in the middle of the sentence and replace it with a postive thought. Even if you dont believe the positive thought...yet...
Thanks Amy - I'll try!
ReplyDeleteDawn,
ReplyDeleteI think we are all critical on ourselves and at least you are aware of it. You can't change something you refuse to acknowledge. I think Dr. Phil says something like that all the time, but it is true.
Glad you stuck with the band, RNY is just too drastic and the band is rocking it! You'll do great and so will the hubby, it should be fun to be so hot together!
PS, Happy Anniversary Tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary.
ReplyDeleteRNY is so drastic, I never considered this, because of the huge change to the body....Believe in the band, believe in yourself. Postive thinking can be hard and takes some time to do it, particularly when negative talk is a habit (or becomes normal), change is slow...of course men always lose quicker than woman, it's the unfair nature of men v woman!
Hubby being banded too...see this as having an advantage, at least you can both support each other and now exactly what each is going through....(I have support but really they don't 100% understand what it is like to be banded). Good Luck
Hi Dawn!
ReplyDeleteJust thought I'd share a little exercise my Mom came up with and I use ALOT.
Whenever I have a self-effacing thought or negative thought in general, I acknowledge it - as a THOUGHT.
Just because I THOUGHT it doesn't make it true. We live all of our lives in our own heads, so we think we can trust ourselves to always think the truth. But that's not always true. I find that the kindest people prefer to beat themselves up, rather than take it out on others - so keep that in mind.
So, when me and my Mom have a negative thought, we stop ourselves and say, "Well... that's a thought." Just a thought - call it what it is. It's as simple as that. And go on about your day.
You'll soon notice that your 'thoughts' don't bother trying to beat you up anymore.