Putting things into perspective

Slow and Steady wins the race

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mushies - oh how I LOVE YOU!

I was able to start Mushies today.  I will be on this for the next 7 days.  I actually started last night - a little early-but I couldn't stomach the liquids anymore!!!  I can barely choke down the protein shakes anymore.  Any suggestions about this?  I am sure I will need at least 1/day to meet my protein requirement.  I tried Isopure in the bottles - YUK!!!!!!   Everything is holding steady on the weight loss front at 14lbs since starting my pre-op diet on the 23rd.  You would think that taking in less than 1000 cals/day would result in a dramatic loss - but no.  Not for me & not for hubby either. Oh well, we will plug along.  I have to say day 8 post op for me was the day I felt "better" My energy came back and I felt healthier.  I still have port pain but that's about it.  My Hubby felt better by day 5.  Isn't it funny, he suffered more after surgery than me, but recovered much quicker.  We have been taking daily walks at some hiking trails near our home to get exercice.  Not today thought - 18" of snow fell where we are so instead we bundeled up & walked over 2 miles in the snow to a local convenience store for of all things Milk & Eggs!  I was feeling the head hunger a bit last night because normally when a big snow storm comes I fill the house with snacks & hunker down.  Not this time though.....Changes - they are good!

13 comments:

  1. yay mushies!!! my fave mushie is cottage cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brave to go out in all that snow! Recovery is so different for everyone. I was so bummed because the weight did not just fall off like I was hoping. Obviously, it eventually did, but I just wanted it gone and quickly. I also got a little depressed about where you are right now, mourning for my old friend food, or maybe I should say comfort eating. For example, I'm 9 mos out from surgery, and it's still in my thought process to hunker down with lots of yummy food during snow storms. I still do it, just smaller amounts. The mental part of this is equally as hard (maybe even more difficult) than the physical. Looks like you're entering the mental changes phase (in my humble, completely non professional opinion). You'll get through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I deleted my original comment as I made some errors in typing! Here is the revised version.

    Good for you! You went walking even in the snow!! You are doing great, don't worry. I too only had pain around the Port site! I actually had no gas pains (probably because I let it all out) nor any itching from the Incisions as they healed (go figure).

    As for a good Protein Shakes. I love the ones I get from Costco. It is called Premium Pro Rated. I like it in chocolate, it tastes like chocolate milk. It is in powder form & I blend it well in my blender with water for fewer calories. It costs $28.99 for a 6 lb bag.

    I just bought a liquid form as well called Premier Protein High Protein Shake. I haven't actually tried them yet, but others that have them love them, so I am sure they will taste great as well.

    I also got these from Costco and they also cost about the same as the powder but you only get 18 shakes and you get about 72 servings in the powder.

    Any way, they both give you a lot of protein! The powder is about 28 grams per serving & the liquid is 30 grams per serving.

    Here is a link for them, http://wellements.com/prorated.asp , and http://premiernutrition.com/products/protein_shake.html

    Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mushies are great aren't they? I didn't even have as strict a post op diet as some and I was dying for mushies. I loved ricotta cheese & tomato sauce and refried beans with cheese and sour cream. I also loved cream of wheat. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Mushies! It was so nice to move to them... my favorite one was 1/4 a cup of ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, 1/8-1/4 cup shredded cheese... melt together in the microwave and enjoy - tastes just like pizza!

    Oh - and poached eggs too, but some people are particular about them... :-)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't help on the protein front, Dawn, as everything we have here in Oz is so different to where you are. But that said: I so get the feeling that if you have another you will chuck. Good luck being on mushies. It's a fun time to experiment and actually eating lifts your spirits a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mushies are heaven after all those protein shakes! Happy for you!

    I lost 14 lbs my first month - including 8 from the pre-op diet. And then it slowed way down, as I recall. Months 2, 3, and 4, I lost about 7.5 each month.

    So your experience so far sounds similar to mine....

    Great job on the exercise! It helps a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Protein shakes= nasty

    Have fun with the mushies. I know getting to that stage was heaven for me. Good luck!

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also can't really help with the protein shake thing - we have Complan over here and it actually tastes really good (I was surprised how much I enjoyed it), especially the vanilla flavour. I've been eating a lot of hummus (houmus? all sorts of different spellings for it!) to get my protein quota, perhaps you could give that a try?
    Funny how you, hubby & I have all stuck around the same figure - I was stuck on 15lbs down for 6 days, until I got a tummy bug which certainly helped shift a few more lbs (not in a good way though!)
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so excited when I moved to mushies. Mashed sweet potato and tuna never tasted so good. I've heard good things about Max Protein via the blog "The World According to Eggface", the line is carried at GNC stores and they will either give you samples to try at home or make it for you in store. Check it out if there's one in your area.

    Here's the link to the blog I mentioned.

    http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/04/heads-up-max-protein.html

    I also enjoyed baked ricotta similiar to what someone mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for the ideas and encouragement! I spent a few hours today preparing 1/2 cup mushie meals for DH & me to grab during the week, as I go back to work Mon. I made tuna salad, egg salad, ricotta & tom. sauce, refried beans & cheese & ricotta blended with peaches. We are set for a while!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE my Nectar protein. My favorite is Fuzzy Navel. I mix it with different types of crystal light to change the flavor up. It isn't a meal replacement shake since it has zero carbs and fat and it actually counts as a clear liquid (if you have to do those after your fills). I also have the topical/coconut one that I mix with orange juice (or orange flavored c.l.). YUM!!

    I also have the unflavored Nectar and unlike some it has no aftertaste that I notice. I mix it in Slim Fast (the lower sugar version) to use as a Meal replacement shake. The Slim Fast by itself has too big of a carb to protein ratio for me, but I like having some carbs in the morning since it gives me a good boost of energy.

    ReplyDelete