Putting things into perspective

Slow and Steady wins the race

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

About my Hubby


This blog has mainly focused on me and I know many of you are curious about how DH's weight loss is going.   









Andrew from  http://harveylah.blogspot.com/ recently asked me what hubby's loss is to date and if he is finding it easier to lose than me.  

DH began this journey at 267 pounds - he is 5'7" tall. On Saturday 3/6/2010 he weighed 219 lbs.  His loss to date is 48lbs.  He lost that in 5 1/2 weeks!  He is definitely losing it easier than I am.  I think he is going to be one of those people who will not need many fills.  He did not get his first fill on March 1st because he is losing so quickly & really not hungry.  He has some kind of restriction because he has trouble with bread and PB'd for the first time last night. 

DH is very active by nature; you name it he does it or did it!  His main interests of late are Golf, Fishing & Hunting.  




About 10 years back & for most of his life, DH was an avid softball player, street Hockey player and basketball player.  He gave up many of his sports when our oldest DD started playing softball in high school. He was an assistant coach at her Junior & Senior High Schools for several years.  With his inactivity, his weight piled on.  We tried everything; Atkins, Weight Watchers, a Nutritionist, Meridia, Willpower - you name it - we did it.  He would always lose 20-30 pounds, only to gain it back.  He decided surgery was his last option because he felt he would not live another 10 years.  He suffered from High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Pre-Diabetes, Planter Fascitis & severe Sleep Apnea.  All at the age of 43.  So he convinced me to look into surgery options with him.  Before we went to the weight loss seminar last April he was sure he wanted Gastric Bypass.  I told him I would not have that done & felt banding was a better option for us.  Our surgeon agreed.  He & I both feel like we are getting our lives back.  This is such a life-changing thing for us.  Dr. Ceppa asked hubby how he felt at our post-op appointment last Monday.  Tears rolled down his cheeks - that was all the answer the Doc needed. 

We have two beautiful daughters & DH wants to walk both of them down the aisle someday & hold his grandchildren.  Some of you know that a shorter goal for him is from an earlier pre-band post that I wrote: he will lose 80 pounds by July & swim with Emily in the Outer Banks - it's going to happen for him no doubt!!!


This is a typical day of eating for him - Usually around 1000 calories:

B - Coffee
S - Yogurt
L - Tuna Salad or Lean Cuisine
S - Cheese or smoked Salmon
D - Tuna Steak or Salmon or Roast beef
       Cauliflower & cheese just for one, 4 oz of potato
S - Fudgesicle

Each week DH buys a Special Dark Hershey bar at the grocery store.  He eats one square per day & that completely satisfies his sweet tooth.  He also drinks a lot of Crystal Light Pink Lemonade.  Pre-band he was a HUGE Diet Pepsi drinker - he doesn't miss it at all now.

He had all the same questions and fears that most of us have prior to banding; Will it work for me?  How in the world will this control my insatiable hunger?  Can I do this? Will I be in pain? Will I die on the table?  Not to say these fears were unwarranted, but in hindsight they are pretty insignificant. It was the best decision he ever made - next to marrying me of course :).

So that's Hubby's story - I hope this helps anyone that may be on the fence about surgery.

9 comments:

  1. Hubba hubba! DH is a good lookin' man...with the exception of the picture with the dead animal...That one creeps me out!

    You both are doing fantastic and think about all of the extra years you will get to spend together since you'll both me so much healthier! Congrats to both of you.

    Maybe your DH can talk to my dad. My dad has everything your hubby has except he has full blown diabetes, is 56 and weighs a good 100 more. I've been trying to talk him into it but I'm just his daughter...maybe seeing the success of a man will push him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could lose weight like a man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet man. I love the fact you love him enough to do a whole post on him. You two must be a great support system for each other. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Chele - he is a cutie :) Sorry about the animal I was hpoing no one took offense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's fantastic that you guys are doing this together! You are both doing very well. I find a lot of inspiration in your story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 48 pounds in 5-1/2 weeks?? AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update....48 pounds in 5.5 weeks is really an amazing loss , please give him our congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute couple you are! Your darling daughters will enjoy having two healthy, happy parents. What a gift to you and your husband individually, and also to your entire family. I'm so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really lovely post you've written, Dawn. And your hubby is doing brilliantly; he must be so pleased and I bet you are too!

    ReplyDelete