Putting things into perspective

Slow and Steady wins the race

Monday, May 10, 2010

It was a great Mother's Day for me!

I am so lucky to have two very smart,  beautiful and kind daughters.  They make me so proud.  


Samantha is an honors student and student ambassador at her college.  She is a sophomore and is working towards her Masters degree in Occupational Therapy.  She works at least 20 hours per week as a cashier at a local car wash in addition to the 17 credits she is completing this semester.  On top of that,  she volunteers at a local rehab facility 4 hours per week.  She is also a wonderful role model to her 10 year old sister Emily.  

Emily is a gifted 4th grader with a heart of gold.  She is passionate and sensitive and loves to write stories.  One of her stories was chosen to be in a celebration called "The Author Tea" at her school.  Emily will read her story to teachers, students, parents and the principal at the celebration next week.  She looks up to her big sister and is a wonderful role model to other kids.  In addition to Emily being gifted, she has ADHD.  We do not medicate her at this time.  Emily is able to keep her ADHD under control with behavioral techniques we learned from an occupational therapist & behavioral counselor.  Her teachers have been very supportive with respect to Emily's ADHD.  She thrives in the classroom as a result. Samantha decided on Occupational Therapy as a career after job shadowing Emily's therapist in her junior year of high school.

For Mother's Day,  my beautiful girls pooled their savings together and bought me a gorgeous penguin necklace.  I collect penguins and this necklace is awesome.  It has black & diamond stones in a sterling silver setting - I love it!  We all went to Applebee's for dinner with my DH, my mother in law and Samantha's boyfriend. I had Asiago Steak, it was from the 550 calorie menu.  I only ate half because the steak hurt when I swallowed it.  But....We shared a Triple Chocolate Meltdown for dessert!!!  OMG - that was gooood!  Later that night I scarfed down half of Emily's leftover grilled cheese, some popcorn & a tootsie pop - WTF???  I also had a slice of pizza for lunch earlier in the day.  Not sure why I'm eating like this - but I need to get it under control!  I weighed in on Saturday and was down 4.2 lbs.  I was happy considering I only lost .4 ounces the week before.


I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful girls! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your girls are beautiful, glad you had such a great Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful and successful young ladies!! Great job, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what lovely, clever, beautiful girls you have. And so thoughtful too. Who could ask for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are lovely!
    Congrats on the continuing weightloss, you are doing SO well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing family. You have been blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What absolutely lovely girls. You are a lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love hearing about bright, well-behaved and well parented kids. I see so many of the opposite around here and it makes me sad. I get the feeling that these girls are going to make the world a better place than they found it, and that has to be the greatest achievement a mom can ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww penguins...another facet to you I didn't know about. You are very blessed - it doesn't surprise me that they are so amazing - considering they came from you. Way to go Mom - you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job on those lovely young ladies...they're both very lucky to have you as their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to be so proud of your beautiful, bright, smart, creative and kind daughters! Take a bow---that's what good mothering can do!!
    Don't beat yourself up too much about what your band allows you to eat one minute and not eat the next! They are so fickle!
    Onward!
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such sweet girls. Love those chocolate melt desserts. Too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are lovely-- did you know that I am a Master's prepared OT myself? Let me know if your daughter would ever like to speak with an OT who practiced from 1996 to 2001... it was a very successful launching pad for me. Though clinicians can easily spend their whole careers in clinical practice!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to thank you again for all the support... xo V

    ReplyDelete