Putting things into perspective

Slow and Steady wins the race

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Food & Me….we go way back!


 
I was raised by food.  No.  Not raised ON food, I was raised BY food.  Huh?  Well, let me explain:

My mother owned & operated a sandwich shop in our town for over 20 years.  Mom was a single parent who ran her own business.  To say she worked hard was an understatement.  I was with her at the shop all the time so she could balance it all.  Her shop was not in our home; we lived somewhere else a few miles away.  As a result, when I was at the shop I did not have a place to go to do my homework or take a nap or just chill out.  There were a few tables at the shop & that’s where I did my homework, played solitaire, wrote poetry, drew pictures;  just did whatever I could do to pass the time.  When I was about 13, I started working there.  I was taught to do it all, wait on customers, make the food, serve the food & clean up.  I worked there until I was 18 & started college.  I did not get involved in sports or other activities at school because I was working after school & my Mom was not able to drive me to or attend school functions because she worked six days a week, from open ‘til close.  I had a lot of friends in the neighborhood where the shop was.  When I wasn’t working, I played with the neighborhood kids & many of them left me visit their homes to watch TV, etc. They knew I was stuck in the shop other wise. Other parents always kept an eye on me for my Mom when I was out playing.

Obviously, this lifestyle of being surrounded by food all the time led to me being overweight my whole life.  Food was my pacifier.  When I was bored, I grabbed a bag of chips.  When I was sad, a Tastykake consoled me.  I could have hoagies & french fries everyday, sometimes twice a day if I wanted.  I just took what I wanted to eat & filled myself up, trying to make up for all the “normalness” that I was missing in my life.  You have no idea how much I envied my friends that could go home after school & take off their shoes and do whatever they wanted.  I wanted so badly to sit at a dinner table each night & have “real food”, not hoagies & fries & pizza.   So for all those years I consumed soft drinks & Doritos & any snack you can think of; I recognize now that eating these things was my attempt to fill all my voids.  When I needed a hug, I devoured an ice cream sandwich.  When I got tired from being at the shop for all those hours, the Hershey bars and Twizzlers would keep me awake….


I ate like this for so many years.  I was not a healthy child, I had high blood pressure at an early age & had to get checked by the nurse in school on a regular basis.  But this lifestyle was really all I knew. Childhood obesity was not in the forefront at that time.  And my Mom did the very best she could.   

Here I am today, banded & trying to break ties with the very thing that got me through my childhood.


So yeah, Food & me, we’re tight.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this part of your story with us!

    You are doing so well with this major life adjustment. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing was so descriptive I could visualize things as I read. I'm glad you are doing so great and are on your way to a healthy relationship with food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...great post. Do you feel like writing it down helped you say goodbye?

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really good post. We're thinking about similar subjects today. I'm trying to come to peace with my history with eating and food. This gives me more to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this part of your journey. It's so interesting to me to hear about what brought everyone to the point they are now.
    I know you're going to rock this all the way girlfriend...sounds like you know it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy.. the mention of tastykakes and hoagies (soft pretzels??no), why did or does food comfort us so much.. but what a great outlook you have now.. banded and in control.. good post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food is a huge part of our lives. Thanks for sharing your story with us. We will break through these things together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. very visual. i too was able to visualize the deli as i was reading. good for you though for breaking the cycle that so often can't be broken.

    ReplyDelete